|About Us more>>
One of the oldest colleges atFudan University,the College of Foreign Languages and Literatures evolved from itspredecessor, Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures, founded over a hundred years ago at the beginning of the university.
English and French departments were founded in 1905, as part of what was then referred to asFudan Public University. In August, 1949, the German Department of Tongji University was merged into Fudan. The Department now had two new majors, English Language and Literature and German Language and Literature.After the creation of Russian Language and Literature major, courses in English, French, German, Russian, and Japanese were all available. The year 1952 witnessed a large-scalerealignmentof departments amongthe nation’s universities, during which English departments of nearly ten universities, including Saint John’s University, University of Shanghai, Aurora University, and Zhejiang University, were incorporated into Fudan’s English Department. From that time, Fudan’s Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures became the preeminent locale of English education south of the Yangtze River. As instructed bythe Ministry of Education, the Department closed the Russian major and focused on the English major from 1956.
The Cultural Revolution began in 1966. English professors encountered great challenges as the nation’s educational system was severely infringed upon. Admissions weresuspended for 5 years.